Dahi Aloo | Dahi wale Aloo recipe | Potato Yogurt Curry | How to make Dahi Aloo Curry

30 mins Main Course
5.0 AVERAGE
1 Comments

Dahi Aloo | Dahi wale Aloo recipe | Potato Yogurt Curry | How to make Dahi Aloo Curry - This Potatoes in Curd Gravy is perfect for Chapathis and Rice and here is a detailed recipe with images and a video.

There are innumerable recipes that can be made with Potatoes. But this Curry is special and it tastes spicy, strong and sour in a thick gravy of Curds.

“Potatoes in Curd Gravy” is a recipe that has many variations across the northern India. And it also tastes different in Dhabas and restaurants. I am making it the way it is done in Bihar and Uttar Pradesh. This is a simple recipe just follow some tips and you get a perfect Curry.

Print this Recipe
Dahi Aloo | Dahi wale Aloo recipe | Potato Yogurt Curry | How to make Dahi Aloo Curry

Tips

Potatoes:

  1. Potatoes should not be cooked fully. They should be cooked to 80% and then fried. The remaining 20% is done while the Curry is cooked.

  2. I have used Baby Potatoes but you could cut a big Potato into four or six pieces and use it.

  3. Potatoes should be fried well in Oil first. Only then does the Curry taste good.

Kalonji/Black Cumin:

  1. Black Cumin or Kalonji seeds give a great flavor to the Curry but you can skip it if you don’t like the taste.

Curd:

  1. Before you add whisked Curds, switch off the stove and mix the Curds well in the Curry. Then switch the stove back on and cook on a low flame until the Oil separates. Then the Curd won’t become flaky.

Mirchi Powder:

  1. There is no need for additional Mirchi Powder if you have Green Chillies and Pepper. But taste the Curry and add if you like more spice.

Dahi Aloo | Dahi wale Aloo recipe | Potato Yogurt Curry | How to make Dahi Aloo Curry - Recipe Video

Dahi Aloo | Dahi wale Aloo recipe | Potato Yogurt Curry | How to make Dahi Aloo Curry

Main Course | vegetarian
  • Prep Time 5 mins
  • Cook Time 25 mins
  • Total Time 30 mins
  • Servings 4

Ingredients

  • 300 gms Baby Potatoes cooked to 80%
  • 2 Pinches Asafoetida
  • Salt – A little
  • 1/2 tsp Pepper Powder
  • 3 tbsp Oil
  • For the Curry
  • 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
  • 2 Pinches Kalonji/Black Cumin
  • 1 cup Chopped Onions
  • 1 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
  • 5 Green Chillies
  • Salt
  • 2 Turmeric
  • 1/2 tsp Pepper Powder
  • 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
  • 1 tsp Coriander Powder
  • 1/2 tsp Roasted Cumin Seeds Powder
  • 1/2 cup Tomato Paste
  • 300 gms Whisked Curd
  • 2 tbsp Oil
  • 2 tbsps Green Coriander

Instructions

  1. Add cooked Potatoes to the Oil and fry till golden. As the Potatoes are changing color, add Asafoetida, Salt, and Pepper Powder and fry till golden. Set aside.
  2. In the same pan, heat 2 tbsp of Oil and add Cumin Seeds and Black Cumin, and mix. Add the chopped Onions and fry well.
  3. When the Onions turn light pink, add the Ginger Garlic Paste and fry.
  4. Then add Salt, Cumin Seeds Powder, Coriander Powder, Garam masala, and Green Chillies and fry well.
  5. Add the Tomato paste and fry till oil separates. Then add the fried Potatoes and fry for 3 minutes.
  6. Switch off the stove and add the whisked curd and mix well in the Curry. Then switch the stove back on and cook covered on a low flame until the Oil comes to the surface.
  7. Once the Oil separates, sprinkle chopped Green Coriander and remove it from the fire.

Leave a comment

Rate this Recipe:
Your email address will not be published.

1 comments

  • S
    Saran
    Recipe Rating:
    Super sir my mother prepared like you me and my sister loved the recipe
Dahi Aloo | Dahi wale Aloo recipe | Potato Yogurt Curry | How to make Dahi Aloo Curry