Toor Dal Spice Powder | Idly Powder | Kandi Podi

Toor Dal Spice Powder | Idly Powder | Kandi Podi | RED GRAM POWDER - Red Gram Powder is an all time favourite for Andhras. It goes well with Idly, Dosa, Vada, Rice and Raw Mango Pickle. This Powder tastes good and also smells good. It remains fresh for over 2 months. Adding Red Gram Powder to hot Rice and Ghee is thought to be more delicious than any other vegetables by the people of Andhra.

No Telugu people or Telugu house would have missed the taste of Red Gram Powder. Red Gram Powder and Ghee are usually served at all the Andhra restaurants along with other pickles. This powder not only tastes good with plain Rice but also if added to a fried curry before serving. This Powder is very easy to make and would be very convenient for bachelors.

It can also be carried in tiffin box without any mess instead of pickle. Red Gram Powder is Telugus' traditional recipe and so every household has its own unique way of preparing it. This Powder is usually made with a high quantity of Red Gram Powder but the measures I use in this recipe are different. It is a simple recipe but by following the tips properly you can always achieve the perfect taste.

Print this Recipe
Toor Dal Spice Powder | Idly Powder | Kandi Podi



Traditionally the Red Gram Powder is made with 80% Red Gram and remaining 20% of Bengal Gram and Black Gram, but I used equal quantities of four different types of pulses except Black Gram. The quantity of Black Gram can be reduced and the quantity of another kind can be increased based on personal choice.

Roasting method

Roasting plays a very important role in this recipe because only then the pulses would fry properly. All the pulses should be roasted on a low flame till the colour changes into golden brown and smells good.

Red Chilli Powder

I used 50 grams of Guntur Chillies but you could decide the quantity to be used according to your taste.

Dry Ginger Powder is generally not used in Red Gram Powder but I use it to make it more spicy and tasty.

Method to grind

Grind the Gram after they completely cool down to avoid lumps. Grind it coarsely to make it more tasty

Other methods:

  1. Roasted Dry Coconut can be added (Optional)

  2. Garlic pods can be added at the end (Optional)

Toor Dal Spice Powder | Idly Powder | Kandi Podi - Recipe Video

Toor Dal Spice Powder | Idly Powder | Kandi Podi

Podi / Karam | vegetarian
  • Prep Time 1 min
  • Cook Time 20 mins
  • Total Time 21 mins
  • Servings 20


  • 1/2 cup Red Gram
  • 1/2 cup Bengal Gram
  • 1/2 cup Green Gram
  • 1/4 cup Black Gram
  • 50 gm Red Chillies
  • 2 tbsp Cumin
  • 2 tbsp Dry Ginger


  1. Roast each variety of Pulses one after the other on a low flame till the colour changes and smells good.
  2. Roast Red Chillies also till the colour changes.
  3. Fry Cumin seeds.
  4. Grind Red Chillies and Cumin followed by all the Grams and Dry Ginger into a fine powder (Follow the tips to grind).
  5. The Red Gram Powder would remain fresh for 2 months if stored in an air tight container. It would last for lesser time if Coconut is added.

Leave a comment

Rate this Recipe:
Your email address will not be published.


  • S
    Sai Kiran
    Recipe Rating:
    Thanks for the explanation of the process of making sanagapappu Karam. I enjoyed it with idly and dosa - Sanagapappu Karam Sanagapappu Karam
  • G
    Sonti ledhu parledha
Toor Dal Spice Powder | Idly Powder | Kandi Podi