Masala Prawns Pulao
Fragrant and flavourful spices are slow-roasted and powdered; and then added to prawns and Rice to create this super hit recipe called Masala Prawn Pulao!!!
The Prawn Pulao and a sweet dish will fulfill your craving for a feel good meal. So satisfying to the mind and the tummy! And such a wonderful option for a Weekend special or Holiday special meal!
You may also like this recipe Easy Prawns Pulao Recipe
This is an easy to make dish. But you should take care about how to roast the spices; and how to fry the prawns so that they retain their soft texture. The tips for such know-how have been given step by step.
Look at the detailed tips before embarking on making this wonderful Pulao.
• I have used fresh water prawns. If you use the sea Prawns, you must remember to add less salt.
How to fry the Prawns:
• Fry the prawns only till the water evaporates. If you fry the Prawns after they are dry, the Prawns tend to get hard and rubbery.
• I have used Basmati Rice soaked for an hour. If you are using a pressure cooker add 1.75 glasses of water to 1 glass of rice.
• You may use any other rice like Sona Masuri or Chitti Mutyalu (Zeerak Samba). You need to add water at double the proportion of rice.
• Curds are added to give flavour to the Pulao. If you do not like to add Curds, You may add Coconut milk.
• As a last option, you may just make do with water. Actually Curds or Coconut Milk balances the strong flavours of the spices used in this recipe. The Pulao is infinitely tastier.
• Hot water helps to bring out the flavours of the roasted masalas. Cold water tends to suppress the flavours.
• Hot water also ensures that the rice is cooked faster.
Masala Prawns Pulao - Recipe Video
Masala Prawns Pulao
- Prep Time 5 mins
- Soaking Time 1 hr
- Cook Time 20 mins
- Resting Time 20 mins
- Total Time 1 hr 45 mins
- Serves 3
For the Spice Powder:
- 1 tbsp Zeera(Cumin)
- 1 tbsp Pepper Powder
- 2 Cardomn(Elaichi)
- 5 Cloves (Laung)
- 5-6 Dry Chillies
- 1 tbsp Dhaniya (Sabut) (Coriander Seeds)
- 1 Inch Cinnamon Stick
For the Pulao:
- 3 tbsp Ghee
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 4 Laung
- 1 inch Dalchini
- 4 Ilaichi
- 1 Badi Ilaichi
- Javitri (Nutmeg) (a little)
- Paththar Phool (a little)
- 1 Marathi Mogga (small)
- 1/4 tbsp Peppercorns
- 1 Bay Leaf (Tez Patta)
- 1 tbsp Zeera
- 1 cup Onion (Sliced)
- 2 Green Chilli (Slit)
- 2 Sprigs Curry Leaves
- 1 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 300 Grams Prawns
- 1/2 tbsp Turmeric(Haldi)
- 1 Tomatoes
- 1/4 cup Curd
- 1.5 cup Basmati
- 3 cup Water
- Kothmir (a little)
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- Roast all the ingredients for the Spice Powder on a low flame. Cool it and grind to a fine paste.
- Take a thick bottomed Kadai and heat oil. Fry all the spices for the pulao for 30 seconds.
Add onions and curry leaves and fry.
- When the onion is soft, add Ginger Garlic paste and Tomato pieces. Fry well till tomatoes become soft and pulpy.
- Add the deveined and cleaned prawns,turmeric and Salt. Fry till the water stops oozing out from the prawns and the prawns look like cashews, white and firm.
Now drain the soaked rice and add it to the prawn mixture, along with the slit green
Chillies. Fry carefully for 3-4 minutes so as not to break the grain of the rice.
- If you are electing to use Curds or coconut milk, add it to the prawns along with the Turmeric, and cook for a minute. Add the ground spice powder.
- After the rice is fried well, add 3 cups of water, mix well and close the lid. Let it cook on medium flame.
When the rice is nearly done, sprinkle the lemon juice and Kothmir over the rice, mix
carefully and leave it on a very low flame for 5-7 minutes. Then, put the stove off and
leave the pot undisturbed for 20 minutes.
Leave a comment ×