Semiya pulihora | Semiya Lemon Pulihora | How to Make Semiya Pulihora

In almost all South Indian homes the regular breakfast items are Idli, Dosa, Upma, and sometimes Vada. All these items require the preparation to get started a day earlier. Thinking about next morning’s breakfast is a common phenomenon in all homes!!!

Any way making the same familiar items time and again can get very boring for the people who eat, as well as for those who cook at home. So this time, make this easy and quick Semiya lemon Pulihora. It is sure to be a super-hit. My style of making Semiya Pulihora will keep it dry and soft even hours after making it.Don’t we say about some recipes that they get eaten up in lesser time than it takes to cook them? Well, Semiya Pulihora or Semiya Lemon Pulihora is really such a dish!!

Semiya Lemon Pulihora is quite similar to Semiya Upma. The difference lies in the method of preparing and also some of the ingredients, that is all!! Before you set out to make this dish, just go through the tips and follow them. Surely, the dish will turn out perfect.

You may also like this recipe Tamarind Rice

Print this Recipe



• Roasted Semiya does not suit this dish. Please use ordinary Semiya.

Method of boiling Semiya:

• When you put the Semiya in water for cooking, please ensure that the water is boiling really strongly. Cook on high flame till Semiya is 80% cooked. Then take the Semiya out in a colander and let the water drain out, and run cold water over it. Be assured that the rest of the 20% cooking will take place during the seasoning stage.

• If the water is not boiling well at the stage of adding the Semiya, or if the Semiya gets boiled for longer than necessary, the Semiya will solidify into a messy lump.

• To test if the Semiya is cooked about 80%, take a strand or two between your fingers and try to break it. The Semiya should be on the soft side, with a slight hard core.


• Seasoning is of utmost importance in this recipe. It is like the life breath of the Semiya Pulihora preparation. Seasoning should be done patiently and attentively. The actual flavourfulness of the Pulihora depend on how we manage this stage.


• After the Semiya is added to the seasoning pan, it should not be mixed with a ladle like we do rice when we fry it. Use a metal Spatula and toss the Semiya carefully so that the Semiya does not get mashed.

Semiya pulihora | Semiya Lemon Pulihora | How to Make Semiya Pulihora - Recipe Video

Semiya pulihora | Semiya Lemon Pulihora | How to Make Semiya Pulihora

Breakfast Recipes | vegetarian
  • Prep Time 1 min
  • Cook Time 15 mins
  • Total Time 16 mins
  • Serves 3


  • 1 cup Semiya
  • 2 cups Water
  • 1/2 tbsp Turmeric (Haldi)
  • Salt (to taste)
  • 1 cup Cold Water
  • For Seasoning
  • 2.5 tbsp Oil
  • 1 tbsp Mustard Seeds (Rai)
  • 1 tbsp Black Gram (Urad Dal)
  • 1 tbsp Bengal Gram (Chana Dal)
  • 10 Cashew
  • 1 Sprig Curry Leaves
  • Asafoetida (A pinch)
  • 1 Green Chilli
  • 1 Dry Chilli
  • Coriander (Kothimer) (a little)
  • 1-1.5 tbsp Lemon Juice


  1. Add salt and Turmeric to the water and bring it to a strong, white-hot boiling stage. Put in the Seviyan into the boiling water.
  2. Take out the Seviyan as soon as it is 80% cooked and put it in a colander. Run cold water over it and let it cool down completely.
  3. Heat oil in a pan and fry all the ingredients of seasoning one by one.
  4. Once the seasoning is well browned and fried, add the boiled Seviyan, Coriander and salt. Toss the Seviyan with the help of a metal spatula.
  5. Once the Seviyan is well-tossed, put the stove off. Sprinkle lemon juice and mix.

Leave a comment

Rate this Recipe:
Your email address will not be published.